Director, NYC Collaborates
ABOUT NYC COLLABORATES
At NYC Collaborates, we believe that public schools – whether district or charter – have a collective and mutual obligation to ensure that all students graduate from high school prepared to succeed in college, work and life.
In December 2010, leaders from nine cities across the country, including New York City, signed on to a – an initiative to highlight new ways in which public charter schools and public district schools can and will work together to provide high-quality educations for all students.
The New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) and more than 90 of the City’s charter schools signed onto the Collaboration Compact. This commitment is historic and will likely have significant implications for not only the charter sector, but education reform more broadly. NYC Collaborates, established in 2012, is one of the major initiatives that has stemmed from the Compact.
NYC Collaborates, which is supported by both the New York City Charter School Center and the NYC DOE, seeks to create opportunities for educators from all types of schools to come to together to share ideas and inspiration as we work collaboratively to improve public education for all New York City students.
NYC Collaborates currently offers citywide programming for educators, including school study tours, education policy dialogues, a collaboration council and more. Additional information can be found atnyccollaborates.org
The Charter Center is seeking to hire an exceptional and proven relationship-builder and manager to fill the position of Director of NYC Collaborates. The Director of NYC Collaborates will lead the Charter Center and the NYC DOE’s efforts to improve and expand the ways in which high-quality charter and district schools work together, influence and learn from each other for the benefit of all students in New York City. The job requires a varied skill set to succeed: educator, diplomat, cheerleader, negotiator, facilitator, leader, impresario and advocate.
Reporting to the Charter Center’s Chief of Staff, and coordinating with the NYC Department of Education, the Charter Center’s various departments, district and charter school leaders and other stakeholders, the Director of NYC Collaborates will be expected to identify, create and implement the partnerships and programs that will help tear down the boundaries between great district and charter schools – resulting, ultimately, in opportunities for public schools of all types to improve and succeed.
This work will be dynamic, highly visible and have significant implications for education reform. Therefore, the Charter Center is seeking someone willing to make a serious, long-term commitment to the initiative.
The Director of NYC Collaborates will:
- Develop, oversee, and implement all NYC Collaborates programming, working on behalf of the Charter Center and coordinating closely with the New York City Department of Education.
- Effectively build relationships with charter and district school communities, including district personnel, school and partner support organizations, charter management organizations and individual district and charter school leaders.
- Be current on leading issues, policies, new thinking and personalities affecting charter schools and K-12 urban education with a particular focus on those initiatives promoting collaboration.
- Coordinate a Collaborations Council of high-quality district and charter leaders to discuss policy issues, serve as an objective voice for quality schools and drive education reform.
- Identify opportunities and implement programs that encourage resource and best-practice sharing, including, potentially, the launch of a city-wide annual best-practices conference.
- Work at the local level to pilot programs/collaborations between neighboring and/or co-located district and charter schools.
- Coordinate and disseminate research on educational and operational practices that engender quality (across district and charter as well as charter-specific structures).
- Assist the Charter Center and the charter sector to build relationships with a variety of non-traditional partners in order to strengthen the education reform movement.
- Develop an annual work plan that incorporates the Compact’s goals as well as the Charter Center’s strategic priorities.
- Liaison with the external team evaluating the success of charter/district collaborations.
- Work collaboratively with Charter Center staff to identify district/charter opportunities within our existing programs/departments.
- Represent NYC Collaborates at relevant conferences, meetings, networking events and other key engagements.
- Develop and write content for the NYC Collaborates website and manage all social media.
- Oversee a part-time support staffer.
- Must have direct experience working within or with both district and charter schools, preferably within New York City and New York State.
- At least 5 years of related work experience.
- A track record of successfully building effective and productive alliances and partnerships between people and organizations.
- A track record of working against a set of goals and metrics—and meeting them.
- A deep grasp of charter schooling and K-12 education issues generally and preferably within New York City and State.
- Experience working within or with governmental and advocacy organizations.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited, four-year university.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and build consensus between people of varied backgrounds and experiences.
- Ease at managing competing demands and quickly determining top priorities.
- Ability to devise, adjust, and implement strategic work plans.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to “manage across” and “manage up” within and across organizations and city agencies.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- The appointee’s compensation package is competitive and will be based on his/her experience and salary history.
- Medical and dental benefits
- Matching 401(k) plan
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to elitt@nycCharterSchools.org, or hard copy to New York City Charter School Center, Attn: Human Resources, 111 Broadway, Suite 604, New York, New York 10006
352 total views, 1 today